Every time I catch the smell of fresh-out-of-the-oven, baked bread, I'm instantly taken back to my childhood and memories of my Grandma Vlasta.
While she was a small Czech woman by stature, she had the most loving heart of anyone I've ever known. Besides being so kind, this proud Czech-Moravian Texan was a wiz in the kitchen. From homemade kolaches to homemade sauerkraut, everything she made tasted like home...much like her homemade bread. Since we've been stuck at home with a little more time on our hands, I decided to get back into the habit of making my grandmother's homemade bread recipe once a week.
Homemade Bread Recipe
Makes 2 loafs of bread.
+ 1 Cake Compressed Yeast (or packet)
+ 1 1/2 Cups Lukewarm Water
+ 1 Tbsp Sugar
+ 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
+ 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
+ 5 to 5 1/4 Cups of Flour
1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
2. Add sugar, salt & melted butter. Mix well.
3. Add flour gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition, until dough is stiff enough to kneed.
4. Turn onto floured board or marble top and knead until dough is smooth & elastic.
5. Cover & set in a warm place until it doubles in bulk.
6. Work down lightly. Form into 2 loaves and place in well oiled pans.
7. Cover with a clean cloth & set in a warm place. Let rise and double.
8. Bake in a hot 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat slightly & continue baking for 30 minutes longer.
Hope you enjoy my grandmother's homemade bread recipe and that the smells fill your home with memories. I'd love to know, do you have a recipe that reminds you of your childhood? Leave it in the comments.
Stay safe, stay well, and please stay at home until we all get through this time together.